1 pkg. dry yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water
3-4 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
4 cups water
2 tsp. baking soda
Butter & Kosher salt
(1) In large mixing bowl, combine warm water and sugar. Sprinkle in yeast and allow it to sit and become foamy for 10 minutes.
(2) Add 2 tsp. salt and 3 cups of flour. Beat. Add enough additional flour to knead.
(3) Knead for 10 minutes or until dough is very soft. Place in a greased bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise 45 minutes or until double.
(4) Divide dough into 12 small balls and roll on counter to form a skinny snake about 20" long. Form each into pretzel shapes, pinching ends firmly.
(5) Dissolve 2 tsp. baking soda in 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
(6) Drop pretzels in boiling water. Boil for 1 minute - 30 seconds on each side.
(7) Remove from boiling water and place on paper towels before transferring to a buttered cookie sheet.
(8) Sprinkle moist pretzels with Kosher salt.
(9) Bake in preheated 475 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove just before they are golden brown and rub with unsalted butter. Continue to bake until golden brown.